Thursday, 3 January 2013

No Pain, No Gain


We’ve all heard that saying, right? ‘No pain, no gain’ – whether true or not, it certainly applies to fashion. Recently I was asked;
‘Why are you wearing something that’s uncomfortable?’ (Referring to my brown ankle boots as I slipped them off in relief at the end of the day – I’m sure we’ve all been here!) This simple yet obvious question was something that I hadn’t really given much thought to. It led me to a partner thought, why am I wearing something that is uncomfortable? Shouldn't the clothes I wear day-in-day-out be comfortable? Not that simple.
  Since the early days women have restricted their bodies for fashion – take corsets as an obvious example. Dating back to the Victorian era, women restricted themselves daily to look good –why? ‘Because that’s fashion darling.’ It seems that although we 21st Century women don’t wear restrictive elaborate dresses like the past (well the majority of us don’t anyway!) we are still restricting ourselves for fashion. By restrictive I mean something that is physically painful (over time or as soon as you wear it) and something that is uncomfortable in daily life. As S/S 2013 has started it seems that even some of our designers have taken a more restrictive angle for their pieces.
 Take Alexander McQueen’s S/S 2013 collection for example:



Although these are only a select few pieces of McQueen’s collection, you get the general idea. Gorgeous? Yes. Extravagant? Yes. Statement pieces? Of course! But comfortable? Certainly not! Obviously a few heads would turn if these complete McQueen outfits were seen walking around our local shop (Some in horror and some with admiration!). They are too ‘out there’ for everyday life but trends develop from influential designers like McQueen.
  Don’t get me wrong, we all have our lazy days where jogging bottoms and tracksuit-style wear seems the way forward! They’re comfortable, easy and quick to put together but they’re not the height of fashion! Is it just simply that comfort and fashion just don’t complement each other too well? As a result women see themselves slumping out of their clothes with relief at the end of the day! So why do us women endure the pain? To fit in? To be on trend? To look good or to stand out? To complete your outfit?   
 Well, if you’re like me, then you endure the pain because that’s part of the package deal of fashion. I love my ankle boots, they’re neat and delicate and go with multiple outfits. Who cares if I’m in agony by the end of the day? Along the way I have received compliments on how nice my shoes look, so I know they were totally worth it.

Whatever the reason may be and whatever the piece of clothing - should we limit ourselves fashion wise for comfort or should we push the boundaries like our ancestors?
 Comment below!
 Don’t forget to follow us on twitter also @iblogthefashion to give you updates on new and upcoming posts!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig