Friday, 4 January 2013

Starring the knitted jumper.



Like previously discussed in my very first post as a fashion blogger, ‘BAGGED A BARGAIN?’, we all love a good price cut. Myself included! I constantly think of ways to recycle old outfits and turn them into new, up-to-date, fashionable looks. Shopping can be expensive (especially for the fashion obsessed), but fashion doesn’t necessarily have to be that way! We all know what it’s like when you go shopping, you can’t just go out and buy one item. Oh no. The high street shops are designed to enchant and have you craving for more. (A bit like chocolate cake really.) For starters, their window displays, who can honestly say that they’ve never entered a shop because the beautiful mannequin in the shop window has captured their attention? This is only the start of the danger, once your in- you’re in. There is literally no escape route. (Trust me, I’ve tried.) Even if your intention was to buy a pair of socks, I guarantee you’ll leave with more! Sometimes forgetting about your target of ‘sock buying’ and getting distracted by all the other wonders of the shop!
 And so, it is high time that us ‘fashionistas’ realized that we could be saving the notes. Multiple high street stores weren’t always around. Especially in the olden days – clothes were strictly recycled or homemade. And so, I went traditional. Last winter I was in dire need of a cosy knit jumper, but I resisted the temptation to visit my local town. Instead, I was determined to cut the costs and on a visit to my Grandma’s house I managed to fulfil this task! My Grandma (or Nana as I call her) likes to do a spot of knitting in her free time. (Along with a vast array of other tasks – she’s a very busy lady!).  And so, I leapt at the chance! Not being a top notch knitter myself I knew that my jumper was never going to look acceptable if I had produced it. So Nana came to the rescue!
  After searching through a select few of wools in the local wool shop, I handpicked the perfect one. The texture couldn’t be itchy (I’m fussy) and the colour had to be versatile.  It doesn’t stop there – the luxury of having your jumper hand knitted is that you get to choose your own design. This was more fun than I had ever envisaged! I got to choose the perfect length, neckline, sleeve length, whether my jumper was going to be tight fitted or loosely falling – and after all the possible options had been confirmed, my jumper was ready to be knitted! After a few short weeks my jumper was complete and last winter was it’s birth! And the best part? I cut the costs and got to design my perfect jumper! And now I want to share it with you! 'Starring the knitted jumper!'

 

Since the Winter of 2011 a lot has changed, but one thing that hasn’t is my knitted, cream jumper. I love it. And for 2 years it has been keeping my warm and cosy! Along the way I’ve had people asking –‘Love the jumper! Where’s it from?’ and ‘Where can I get one?’ . Well, sorry, my jumper’s a one of a kind but why not try a friend or a family relative who has the skills to knit? Or, alternatively, if you have the patience – teach yourself! Fashion doesn’t have to have a label on it and it certainly doesn’t have to come at a high price!

Share:
© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig