Sunday, 17 March 2013

9 Beauty Essentials


As all you awesome readers know, my blog is ultimately about fashion but another sub section within fashion, is indeed, beauty! I was rifling through my cosmetics drawer and day-to-day essentials and whilst admiring my faithful beauty products I thought - why not share with you all the things that I would take with me if I was allowed only 9 items, while deserted on an island. So here they are:



     1.     Girl Aloud eyelashes (Nicola) – I must admit I had been resisting the idea of wearing false eyelashes for a while. I had been tempted by the concept of false eyelashes but was afraid that the wrong choice would result in me looking like Miss Piggy’s long lost cousin – elaborate, OTT, extravagant lashes that looked super false. I was out on one of many shopping trips of mine when I came across these lashes! The whole range was displayed and trying to pick one was a tricky ordeal! The thing that I loved about the collection was that they all looked so natural. I’d heard good reviews about the Girls Aloud collection from several sources so when I came across them I took the plunge! I chose Nicola’s lashes because like Nicola, I am a natural red head. The explanation for me choosing Nicola’s lashes is no more interesting than that, it was extremely hard to choose! I finally tried the lashes and loved them!
The lashes were really quick and easy to apply. They came with a generous tube of glue and a lanyard (a random gift but could be of use to some people..maybe?).
One of my worries about wearing lashes was that they would feel unnatural, like having a massive butterfly wing stuck to your eyelid. Despite my worries of transforming into an insect, the lashes were unexpectedly lightweight and I barely noticed they were there!
Me wearing Nicola's lashes on an evening out!

Overall Nicola’s Girls Aloud lashes are fantastic and are great for an evening out or for day-to-day use. I wore mine with smokey eyes which complimented the lashes well but the lashes looked subtle solo! You can buy these lashes in almost any beauty store; Boots, Superdrug etc.

    2.     Max Factor Xperience Foundation – After years of hopeful searching I’d failed to find the perfect foundation. My skin tone is exceptionally fair, with thanks to my red hair, it leans towards the palest tones that foundation brands produce. My common problem was finding a foundation that was pale enough to suit my skin tone without me looking like a complete ghost or seriously ill. After I had tried endless samples and attacked every beauty section of every beauty store, I was near to giving up. I approached Max Factor’s section with little faith due to my past misfortune and begun to rifle through their foundations. I came across their Xperience version of foundation in light ivory. A few years later I am still, to this day, faithfully using Xperience in light ivory and continue to be satisfied all this time later!
I realize that most of you reading this post will not have quite as fair a skin tone as mine but fear not because Xperience produces a spectrum of different colours for varieties of skin tones! Their other colours include; Raw Silk, Beige Linen, Dark Gypsum and Deep Soapstone. Aside from the odd choices of names Xperience foundation is light and natural.
Unlike most other foundations, Xperience gives you a youthful glow.
It’s priced at £9.99 at Boots (UK), a reasonable price and lasts for a long time. You only need a small, pea-sized amount per application.
It has fantastic coverage and gives you a flawless finish!

     3.     Lancôme Hypnôse Mascara Volume – Gifted in with a fragrance set that I bought from Lancôme, I can honestly say that I would marry this mascara. Admittedly if it weren’t for the fact that it was packaged in with a gift set, I probably wouldn’t have been attracted to the range of Lancôme mascaras because let’s face it, their above average prices aren’t exactly appealing. However, after several years of going through brands of cheaper mascaras that seemed to have that ‘clumpy’ effect once applied, I have seen the bright side – Lancôme mascaras! Hopefully my mascara will have a long life but once its time has come I can’t wait to explore Lancôme’s shelves to see what other mascaras they have to offer! Although they are pricier they are definitely worth the extra few pounds!  
 ☆ The mascara gives you the option of a more natural or dramatic look, depending on how many coats you apply! Not only does the mascara give you volume but is also gives your lashes the length that we all need and want from a mascara!
 ☆ The mascara leaves your lashes nicely defined and be assured your days of clumpy lashes are over!

     4.     Dior Addict Lipstick –Only over the past few months have I been using brighter lipstick. Before this point I hadn’t really been brave enough to try the striking bold colours that seemed to be the trend in the lipstick brands. I’d always adopted the subtle colours; the baby pinks and nuder colours, basically all the colours you can’t really see. My mother is a massive inspiration for me in all aspects of my life, one of the main aspects being beauty. She has an excellent eye for make up and how to use it properly, so most (if not all) of my knowledge of makeup and beauty products has stemmed from her. Never failing to wear flawless makeup, my Mum also never fails to have a splash of colour smoothed across her lips. Even in my earliest memories I can’t picture a time where she didn’t have some ounce of colour. So, it should come as no surprise, seeing as she is my ultimate inspiration (cute I know..), that I decided to give the bolder lipstick colours a go. At first it looked a little theatrical, a little courageous, my mouth was used to being bare.. it was going to take a little adjusting. A couple of months later I am a frequent user of lipstick! Not just any lipstick, however. Initially stolen from the depths of my mother’s makeup drawer, my Dior lipstick is one of my 9 beauty essentials.
The pinky-reddish shade of the lipstick is bold without being too adventurous. Perfect for evening or daily application.
It has a long wear and isn’t easily brushed off throughout the day.
It has a matte finish but is also perfect when partnered with some gloss coated over the top to achieve a different look.

    5.     Vaseline – Where do I start? This is the Queen of all lip balms, the saviour, the protector. In the bitter winter winds, frosty mornings and in moments of having tragic chapped lips, I turn to my best friend, Vaseline. Why do I love it so much?
It’s cheap! Forget spending dozens of pounds on a good lip balm product – Vaseline is the best you can get!
Its glossy finish leaves your lips nice and smooth.
The cocoa butter flavour is the best of the bunch in my opinion, not too sickly or overpowering.
Quick lip repair! My lips have been in utter despair but with a quick application of Vaseline they are smooth and quick on the mend the next day!

    6.     Rimmel London Exaggerate Liner – After abandoning their version of pencil liner due to looking like a panda after a few hours of wearing it, I decided to divert to liquid liner. I can happily say that I’m glad I made the transition!
2It’s easy to apply with its fine line brush.
It lasts for hours, generally I never have to reapply the liner and at the end of the day it looks as good as at the start.

    7.     Simple Wipes – It’s hard to find a good ‘all round’ make of wipes. An ‘all round’ make of wipes should have enough moisture to fulfill its purpose. There are way to many brands of wipes that barely have any moisture, and as a result you feel like your scrubbing your face with a tissue.  That’s where Simple wipes come into the equation.
They have the perfect moisture so remove your makeup really well. The wipes are also really refreshing, they aren’t scented which is perfect for my sensitive skin!
They come in a compact dispenser, fitting nicely into your handbag for on-the-go use!

The only bad thing about the wipes is that they run out super fast! I use one wipe in the morning and in the evening, meaning that I’m constantly needing to buy more. Maybe that ‘s just me though…

    8.     Dior Addict Lip Polish– Christmas came and one of the most fantastic presents that I was given was my Dior lip gloss. I love my lipgloss for the following reasons;
I use colour 003 which I love, it is subtle but also has enough colour to dress your lips accordingly, going with almost any outfit/ look.
It’s not sticky! One of my ultimate pet hates are sticky lip glosses! Who needs hair and random fluffy bits sticking to your lips, which throughout the course of a day make you look like you have a ‘lip-stashe’ – not hot let me tell you. This lip gloss has a zero sticky effect which means no lip-stashe for me!
The bottle is so cute making it a perfect dressing table ornanment! Not really a constructive product evaluation I know, but it has to be acknowledged!
It smells good! I can’t specifically compare the gloss’s smell to anything else I’ve come in contact with. It has its own unique smell which is fresh and sweet!

9.  No7 Pressed Powder - This is the newest of my beauty essentials, the baby of the bunch. I actually alternate between my No7 powder and my Dior loose powder depending on my destination. However, if I’m on the go, my No7 pressed powder is the way forward.
It’s natural, so natural in fact you barely notice that you’re wearing it! There’s nothing worse than a ‘heavy’ powder. By this I mean a powder which makes you look caked, ruining your makeup all together. This powder is light and natural making it a perfect powder for daily use!
Coverage is awesome. If you’re having a particularly ‘bad skin day’ with irritating little spots cropping up here and there, one splash of this powder and you’ll be asking, ‘what spots?’




So that’s it! Those are my 9 beauty essentials! I’d love to hear what your 9 beauty essentials are! 
Share:

1 comment

  1. I definitely want to try the mascara and dior addict lipstick. Thanks for the review.
    xo
    Tiffy
    http://www.CuteLA.com

    ReplyDelete

© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig