Tuesday, 30 April 2013

When Rapunzel met the hairdresser..

I've had my fair share of hairdresser disasters, haven't we all? My hairdressing experiences have all been ones that have got me in such a state afterwards that I vow to myself that I will never go to near a pair of scissors ever again. Probably fair to say I suffer from some trust issues when it comes to my hair...
 When I was about 11, I decided that I was going to chop my super long hair..off. I went along with this plan and whisked off to a hairdresser and felt my long hair drop to the ground...Possibly one of the worst decisions I have made (vanity wise) and I swore never to go back to another hairdresser ever again for the temptations for an almighty 'chop' were far too great. I'd had the odd trim here and there but quickly learnt that the terminology of 'trim' meant that the past months I had spent growing my hair were wasted because it was all cut off and 6 weeks later the same thing happened again. This meant that my hair never actually grew but was stunted by the continious 'trims' where about 3 inches were chopped off each time! 
 By this point I had a bob. It was the shortest I had ever had my hair and I hated it.  So I went a whopping year and a half with NO trims and NO visit to a hairdressing salon of any kind. Obviously my hair grew significantly longer but it also eventually came with the downside of severe dry ends. I was lucky enough not to get any split ends because I use a secret ingredient* on my hair which nourished my hair. Sadly I knew that it was finally time to 'suck it up' and get over my slight phobia of the hairdresser's..
 Today was the grand moment where I made an appointment and stepped inside a hairdressing salon. And I loved it. 

Before



Here I was observing my dry and lifeless ends in severe disgust..

After



My newly cut ends! (Decided to opt for a fringe as well to mix things up a little!)

The experience of going to the hairdresser's was lovely. To start I had an amazing, relaxing head massage followed by a shampoo and rinse. Then came with the actual 'trim' itself. I was literally 'shaking in my boots', petrified that I would come away with no hair. Extreme? Well maybe a little but based on past experiences anything was possible. I was pleasantly surprised however, when the 'trim' I had asked for was exactly the 'dictionary' definition of what a trim should be. As little as possible off the ends, while getting rid of what is necessary. The hairdresser really knew his stuff and towards the end of the 'cutting' session I was completely relaxed and had full trust as I peeped in the mirror every so often. Careful and taking his time, my haircut lasted a little over an hour and the best thing was that there was no extensive 'hairdresser' talk. 
One of the reasons I dislike going to the hairdresser's is the obligation that I feel to tell them my whole life story as they ask questions and dig for answers. I often feel like I've been secretly signed up for counselling rather than a simple haircut. Don't get me wrong I love a good chit chat and gossip but not when I'm getting my hair cut. I loved the end result and I love my new style, the full fringe is a change from my middle parting and although 2 and 1/2 inches had to come off the ends of my hair, it was dry and in bad condition so I knew the job had to be done. 

Cheeky purchase:

I loved all the products that they used on my hair in the salon so I decided to make a cheeky shampoo and conditioner purchase as I find it so hard to find a good, nourishing shampoo and conditioner! 


The shampoo and conditioner is KMS California's very own. Although KMS California is on the pricier end of the spectrum for shampoo and conditioner it was worth every penny because it means that my hair will maintain a silky, healthy sheen and condition!  

So, today I made my own personal history, I went to the hairdresser's. A true revelation. I will definitly be going back.   


*For now my 'secret' hair ingredient will remain anonymous because I plan to do a blog post to share this wondrous product with you.

PS: Did you know my blog has been SHORTLISTED in COMPANY magazine's Style Blogger Awards 2013? To vote for my blog click here
Share:
© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig