Friday, 16 August 2013

The World's Best Lipstick

If you follow me on twitter then you'll know that I've been tweeting in excitement about a beauty product that I wanted to share with you all. Right here, right now, is that moment where I reveal the worlds best (EVER) lipstick....well, in my opinion anyway.
  2013 has been a good year for a lot of reasons, I won't list them because that's not what I want to focus on in this blog post, but it's been a pretty good one so far. One of the major reasons 2013 has been a really good year is that I realised the wonders of a well-known beauty staple - lipstick. Obvs I knew what a lipstick was, I'm not completely oblivious to life, but I'd never really smothered my lips in it before the year of 2013. Sure, on occasions I might steal one of my Mum's lipsticks for a night out but  it was definitely more of a 'night' look for me. Lipstick is bold and brave and until the year of 2013, I hadn't given it the acknowledgment it deserved.
  If you've read my blog for that past couple of months you may remember the first ever lipstick blog post that I did - 'Becoming Alice'. (If you don't remember or haven't read it I've linked it so give it a click after if you fancy!). This blog post pinpoints nearly to-the-day when my lipstick obsession began. I started with the neutral shades, collecting pale corals & pinks and nudes - exploring every lipstick counter and shelf out there. You think I'm joking? I'm really not..I swear I even started dreaming about lipsticks...There was an element of trial and error involved with this process, I learnt what makeup brands were good and the ones that were not-so-good. There are a lot of lipsticks to choose from and at first it's a little tricky to know which ones are good and which ones, well, really aren't. You've seen the testers in drugstores, they're a little 'over-used'. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't be making mouth-to-lipstick contact with them any time soon. With that said it's hard to tell by swabbing the lipstick onto the back of your hand, whether or not the colour will suit you and if the wear will be long lasting etc. Sadly the best way to find out whether the lipstick is any good is simply to spend a couple of pounds. Some will be successful purchases and others don't quite make the cut. Whatever the case, I have never come across a lipstick so magnificent as my latest lipstick encounter - Estée Lauder Signature.




Firstly the packaging is just gorgeous. You may have noticed that I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to good packaging. If it's nicely packaged you can probably get me to buy it. My 'pocket money' (I hate saying that because it makes me sound like a little child but it's true, I still rely on pocket money as a source of income..) doesn't really stretch for me to be able to buy such a high-end lipstick. Another little fact about me is that I am a major spender, the only time I ever saved in my life was when I was younger. I was desperate for a new phone, the current phone I had at the time was sooo 'uncool' and I wanted a more 'hip', 'in-with-the-crowd' phone to avoid social suicide. The 'phone of my dreams' was around £100 which was a lot of money for me back then (well, truthfully it still is) to save. Through some absolute miracle I ended up saving enough money to buy the phone but found it very difficult to save. Apart from another phone change, not much else has changed since my younger years. I still find it impossible to save. Why? I get tempted very easily and end up spending money before it's even in my pocket (something which I'm trying to stop for fear of my future 'student days'!). Therefore a lipstick as 'expensive' as this Estée Lauder Signature one would be completely out of the question. How'd I get it then? Well, it was an absolute miracle...sort of. 
Earlier this month was my Mum's birthday and aside from looking very much alike, Mum and I are also very similar people. In fact, the only thing we differ on is our music taste. Mum's idea of a good record is a Bowie/ Madonna tune. However, my musical taste includes indie bands that no-one's heard of (sadly), maybe a little rock & a hint of pop music - so understandably we differ on this topic! A plus of being so similar to my twin (a.k.a Mum) is that shopping for presents is a reasonably easy task - I just buy what I want and wrap it up for her to find that she's equally as delighted with it as I was when I first laid eyes upon it. Similarly she finds shopping for me extremely easy and I can depend on her for a good batch of birthday gifts! To cut a short story even shorter, Mum bought herself a few treats for her birthday, one of them being an Estée Lauder Signature lipstick - I was completely jealous. Here's the plot twist, when Mum unwrapped her gift that she bought for herself, she realised that the woman at the Estée Lauder counter had wrapped up the wrong colour - understandably she was gutted to say the least. After double-checking the new, unwanted colour she sparked an idea - 'Would Holly like it?'. My reply: 'YES PLEASE.'. Now, it's not everyday that an expensive, amazing lipstick lands in your hands for free, but that's exactly what happened and I couldn't have been happier. 

This picture does NOT do the lipstick colour any justice but gives you an idea!

I had been on the look-out for a lovely warm-toned, well-pigmented, brown lipstick. Having been on several of my lipstick hunts, I'd failed to find the perfect colour. The miracle? The Estée Lauder lipstick was the exact (yes that deserved bold, italics and underlining for emphasis on the spookiness) colour that I had wanted. I can honestly say that this is my all-time favourite lipstick. I love everything about it; the packaging, the quality (you do get what you paid for!), the colour, the silky smooth texture and the nicely scented smell that dances off it when you apply it to your lips. The only thing I'm not loving is its name, Vintage Mauve. With a title like that you'd expect the lip stick to be purple but this caramel brown is anything but 'Mauve'! However, I couldn't be more besotted with something without a heartbeat. This is the world's best lipstick. 



PS: If you're wondering what happened to Mum's own Estée Lauder lipstick, she bought another one - this time in the right shade! Happy birthday once again Mum - hopefully it's not the last time we share presents? 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig