Sunday, 15 June 2014

Discovering New Things / Miss Fluff Jewellery

When I started my blog back in 2012, New Years Eve, the idea wasn't very thought through. I often laugh at myself at how naive I was initially starting my blog. I'd been toying with the idea of starting up my own blog for a few months prior to actually taking 'the plunge'. I knew very little about the blogging world. I think in some ways this has been to my advantage. For starters, although I had dipped in and out of other blogs here and there, I wasn't a huge 'blog reader'. I would do sessions where I would sit down and mass read my favourite blogs and their blog posts, rather than checking the blogs every other day. I guess you could say that I wasn't a 'devoted' blog reader. However, I've always found blogs inspiring and often sat there thinking - why can't I write a blog? So, I did - I wrote one just like that and it has been the best decision that I ever made. (F.Y.I - Ever since I started my own blog, I am now a devoted blog reader and often turn to blogs rather than magazines for a source of style and beauty.)

I think if I'd have known how many opportunities blogging would create for me I would've created mine a long time ago. My blog enables me to exercise my want need to talk, a fun fact about me - I hate silence (unless it's appropriate and necessary as a mark of respect). I generally find the prospect of silence utterly boring and as a result I don't really like to be alone if I can avoid it. Writing on my blog has filled any moments of silence that I would've previously had. I get the chance to talk and you lucky readers get the chance to read my babbles about fashion, beauty and sometimes off-course chatter voluntarily (so thanks!). But ultimately, one of the best things that I have loved since starting my blog is discovering new things. 

A few weeks ago a lovely woman called Sare e-mailed me and told me a little bit about herself and her brand of jewellery - 'Miss Fluff'. One thing that I instantly loved about her brand of jewellery was its unique, quirky name - 'Miss Fluff'. Instantly, the brand name drew me in, I wanted to know more! I read the email and knew that this was a brand that I would be interested in featuring. I get quite a few emails through in the course of a day and I stay true to myself and my style before featuring anything on my blog. I will only feature something if I would actually wear it myself and love the product - I know a lot of other bloggers follow the same principles, but others like the free stuff and feature the products anyway - definitely a no-go area for me! I visited 'Miss Fluff' on Etsy, a platform where Sare has her store and sells her jewellery, and browsed her collection. I was so impressed and quite inspired (even though I know that I would never be able to make jewellery out of leather and make it look remotely acceptable, it made me want to get creative!).

After a year of blogging and a hundred or so posts later, I have never featured such a fun and interesting brand as 'Miss Fluff'. Featuring brands that aren't from the 'big stores' like Miss Fluff is something that I definitely want to do more of. Not only are these handmade pieces really unique but they're also something different that you could never sadly find on a high street shop floor (so far anyway!). I hand picked my favourite two pieces on the site and took photographs of them for you to see below!






I love this floral necklace, Sare makes it in a variety of different colours and is open to colour requests! This necklace is so perfect for Summer and is versatile with practically any S/S14 top from lace to floral patterns. This necklace is unique, like all of Sare's jewellery and it adds that little bit extra something to all my outfits!


This cute little charm bracelet immediately caught my eye on Miss Fluff's Etsy shop - it was fun, unique and something totally different to what I'd seen before. The bracelet is delicate and has quite a kitsch vibe - full of colour and playfulness, this bracelet is one of a kind! 

Aren't they awesome? I wanted to find out a little bit more about Sare and how she decided to create 'Miss Fluff'. Not only did I think this would be a little something extra for this post, making it more personal, but I also thought that it could be a useful resource for anyone aspiring to enter the world of Fashion Design, Fashion, Jewellery making, or just simply if you wanted to know how to go about setting up your own personal business! So here it is, my little Q&A with the creator of 'Miss Fluff' and the fantastic jewellery that you feasted your eyes upon above!

When did you start making jewellery?

I've been making jewellery for fun since I was little. I'd buy huge packs of beads and make earrings and necklaces. It was only when I started studying at the London College of Fashion that I discovered how much I loved working with leather and the two things just naturally came together. 

Why did you decide to create your own brand, 'Miss Fluff'?

When I left LCF I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go in. I had already started experimenting with leather jewellery so decided to just keep going with it 'for the time being' but loved it so much I just kept going!

How did you decide on the name 'Miss Fluff'?

One of the very first pieces I made was a cream leather bunny brooch and some of my favourite early pieces were based around bunnies and I was thinking of these when I came  up with Miss Fluff.

Your jewellery is quirky, fun and really unique. What gave you the idea to create jewellery using leather?

When I was studying accessories I would be working on big projects and would often be left with lots of scraps of leather. I started to experiment with textures, colours and themes whenever I had some cool scraps to play with. I would wear them and got a great reaction. 

Where do you get the inspiration for your jewellery?

I get inspiration from nature and animals mostly. I really enjoy the flow of natural shapes and how they can be random yet symmetrical at the same time. I also enjoy kitsch and child-like imagery and these have inspired my more 'silly' ideas such as the octopus, seahorse, bird and cupcake pieces.

When you're designing your jewellery do you use other artists for inspiration? If so, who is your main inspiration?


I don't really use other artists for inspiration. I collect images from nature that inspire me, colours, combine scraps of leather..then I create a moodboard and sketch ideas in one of many notebooks that are scattered around the house!

How long does a piece from your collection take to make?


A small piece can take around and hour and a much larger piece could take up to 8 hours to complete. 

What is your favourite design in your current, 'Miss Fluff' collection?

My current favourite is the black circles necklace which is a large statement piece made up of tiny hand-cut loops. It looks amazing on and I can't wait to make it available in more colours.

What advice would you give to an aspiring artist/jewellery maker wanting to make their own collection of designs?


Oh gawd..I'm not great at giving advice, I would just say that you should try and stay true to your own style and try not to give into the temptation of making what you think will be 'popular' and sell most.

What do you hope to achieve in the future for 'Miss Fluff’?

I just hope to continue doing what I enjoy that's the main thing and anything else that comes of that is a happy bonus.

In your spare time, besides making your own jewellery, what do you enjoy doing? 

I have a wonderful daughter and spend alot of time with her..she has also just started making her own jewellery :-)
I also love to watch terrible horror films with my husband who is an amazing cook so I also spend quite a lot of time eating!

Finally, what do you love most about making jewellery?

I am really sentimental about my jewellery and I love the idea that something that I've made which started out as a sketch and a piece of leather can then become part of someone's story.





So there you have it -'Miss Fluff!'. Obviously I am sure that you will want to have a little browse and look at Sare's collection of fabulous pieces so I've put the link and follow button, which with one nifty click will redirect you to her store!

Twitter: @missfluff__


PS: I'm still writing for Disney's Maleficent website, check out my most recent content at;
http://maleficentmovie.tumblr.com/post/88255594490/maleficent-vs-aurora-fashion-face-off-maleficent
http://maleficentmovie.tumblr.com/post/88255553175/maleficent-vs-aurora-fashion-face-off-aurora
http://maleficentmovie.tumblr.com/post/87897797870/maleficent-inspired-gothic-accessories-visit
http://maleficentmovie.tumblr.com/post/87805863030/aurora-inspired-accessories-visit-maleficent

Share:

1 comment

  1. This is actually so cute!! I can not believe I didn't see her shop on Etsy yet!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig