Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Summer Beauty Essentials & Tips

Hello friends of the internet! This blog post is a little different to ones that I have done in the past. My Summer holidays are in full swing now and I have to say I am loving every single second of them - spending time with friends, relaxing and pretty much not having a care in the world - this is what life's all about, right? Well, ideally anyway! Due to being ridiculously chilled and slightly lazy, I have actually not logged onto Blogger for quite some time. I have posted fairly regularly, although it is not as much as I would've liked. So today I decided to sit down and plan my life. Seems like quite an impossible task, 'planning your life', but it has to be done. It may be Summer but I have a lot of things that I have to give a lot of thought to - University being one the major things that I need to think about in this upcoming year - scary. I've whipped out my dainty diary to try and plan and sort the things that I need to accomplish this Summer. I guess you could say it's a bit like a boring and essential 'Summer Bucket List'. Now that I've got everything into a pretty organised state, I know exactly what I need to concentrate on and when I need to concentrate on it - planning, as I've got older, is something of a necessity! Why am I telling you this? Well, I've got a basic outline and plan of all the blog posts that I want to power out of my system - and there are a lot! I really do love blogging, but every now and then it can seem like a chore to even some of the major bloggers out there. However, ultimately our laptops do become our children and our friends. So, I've become reunited with my Summer BFFL (my MacBook Pro) and am excited to be sharing lots of new and hopefully interesting blog posts this Summer!

Summer is a wonderful thing and I think it's safe to say that it is my favourite season of all time. I always associate Summer with being ridiculously chilled and laid back - I think the major stress of Summer is not dropping your ice cream. Well, that's what I thought until a few days ago. I was relaxing on the beach, we all do that right? However, as a very pale skinned, red-head growing up, I've always had SPF50-100 slapped onto my skin by my mother (obviously, because otherwise I would be as burnt and red as Rudolph's nose). Ever since I was small I have followed this unwritten rule, sun cream before the sun. A couple of days ago I ventured to the beach with a few of my friends - fantastic idea, lots of fun and probably one of the best things to do on a boiling hot sunny day. On this particular day the clouds were out and it was a bit overcast; it was still warm but I risked going out with no suncream on. It wasn't until I was going home on the train that I realised just how damaging this Summer, 'YOLO' attitude was - my skin was red, raw, dry and very very painful. Yep, I'd sunburnt all right. It was then when I got home and realised that I didn't have Aftersun, a Summer beauty essential, that I slightly panicked and wondered what other things my Summer stash had missing. That's when I decided to write this post on Summer Beauty Tips and Staying Healthy. This isn't a health warning blog post in any way, it's a collage of my Summer Beauty Essentials and tips.


1. Rimmel London SunShimmer Intant Tan Light Shimmer £6.99 - I literally swear by this product every single Summer. The lesson that was learnt from my severely sunburnt legs was to slap on suncream, but also sometimes fake tanning is the way forward for those of us who are pale skinned. Whereas I was burnt to a crisp, my friends caught a lovely golden tan as a result of not wearing any suncream - I guess everyone's skin varies and differs. This SunShimmer is my answer to looking tanned this Summer and it's probably my most repurchased beauty product this season. Obviously this wash-off solution is marginally expensive because it's a one-use kind of finish and result. The application process is also slightly time consuming and does take effort and labour if you want a professional looking finish with no streaks! I've learnt that half-arsed attempts of putting on this fake tan really don't pay off, as I look in horror in public mirrors and see large streaks and marks of fake tan all over my legs - not a good look! Each bottle probably lasts 3/4 days if you want a full coverage but I tend to just fake tan my legs because they're the most prominent bare feature, so the bottle lasts a little longer that way. Obviously add some squirts of spray suncream (I tend to use the mist suncreams as they don't mark the tan) to protect your skin!

2. Victoria Secret Coconut Passion Fragrance $14 - I often find perfume too strong for a Summer beach setting, the heavy scents are often lost with the sea air and breeze or are too assaulting. That's when I discovered this Coconut Passion Fragrance by Victoria Secret. A friend of mine spritzed herself all over with this Coconut delight and as my nose climbed it's way up to heaven with each little sniff, I knew that this was the scent of Summer. Sometimes with suncream and various other Summer smells, perfume can get in the way and be out of place, but this Coconut Passion Fragrance complements Summer in every way and is literally the most heavenly, Summer smell that you are ever likely to encounter. I haven't actually got this product personally yet but I am definitely going to be ordering it very soon! I guess I could've saved it for my wish list but I was so desperate to share it with you that I had to include it in this post.

3. The Body Shop Honey Bronze Shimmer Lip Balm £6 - Your lips can often be overlooked when it comes to nourishing and moisturising during Summer. This luscious Honey Bronze Shimmer Lip Balm is a gorgeous and natural product that will help to keep your mouth protected, unchapped, moistured and healthy during the blazing Summer sun.

4. BareMinerals Locked & Coated Waterproof Mascara £12 - As much as I would love to be one of those girls who embrace a natural, non-makeup face - this is a pretty impossible task for me. I have tried and failed many times but the only time that I will be completely makeup-less is in the dark, by myself, cooped up watching Pretty Little Liars episodes on repeat. I don't think I'm alone here either. Although, if you can go completely makeup free embrace it because it's a wonderful gift not to feel the need to slap makeup all over your face! I came across this BareMinerals Locked & Coated Waterproof mascara when I was on the hunt for a mascara that would be friendly to me when I'm swimming in the Summer oceans - it's not a good look when mascara is sprinkled all down your cheeks! Therefore, a Waterproof Mascara is a must-have to remain unworried about your makeup!

5. Nivea Aftersun Spray £4 - Learn from my mistakes and stock up on some aftersun! You never know when the sun has got to your skin too much and aftersun is the most blissful thing to apply to your skin after an intense day in the sunshine! I've since purchased some aftersun to protect and nourish my poor little legs but in the meantime I had been using a Tesco Moisturising Body Butter, which I have previously reviewed here. Without this Body Butter my skin would literally be in smithereens right now so the cream was an absolute godsend and saved me. If you don't want to spend £4 on aftersun, I would definitely recommend purchasing the body butter that I have been using from Tesco. Before you judge it because it's a Supermarket branded beauty product, read my review and try it out for yourself - it's actually packed with some brilliant vitamins and hydrates your skin so, so well!

6. Clinique Face Sun Protection £18 - Most foundations will act as a sun protector for your face but on days where you don't want to wear makeup and want the natural, sunbeams to soak into your skin, you'll need to keep your face protected. This Clinique Sun Protection cream comes in different Sun Protection Factors and an obvious rule to go by is the paler your skin the higher SPF you should opt for.

7. The Body Shop Honey Bronze Gel £12 - Again, if you want to opt for a more natural look this Honey Bronze Gel will not only moisturise, protect and nourish your skin, it will also add a hint of bronze colour to make you look lively and sun kissed!

So there are my Summer beauty essentials. Obvious things that I haven't included are things such as sun cream - sun cream is a given and a little boring to add into a Beauty Essentials post, despite it probably being the number one Beauty essential of all time!

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig