Thursday, 31 December 2015

I Wear Boys Clothes and I'm a Girl







It always baffles me that with all the progression in gender 'accepting', more shops and brands haven't adapted a 'gender fluid' clothing range. By that I simply mean, clothes that aren't targeted to either boys or girls but embrace the two. I know that some stores have changed the 'segregation' of the genders by not labelling the 'women' and 'men' sections and have merged the gender departments. I suppose there are pros and cons of this. Pros are that it's a step in the direction of change and is challenging the men/women segregation found within fashion. But the cons are that for 'girly girls' and 'masculine men' - finding clothes becomes a little bit harder.

I'd think that my style is a combination of 'tomboy' and 'ultra girly girl'. Some days I want to wear my tiara, others days I want to wear my armour. I dress depending on my mood. Recently, I have been opting for the 'tomboy' look. I am loving the relaxed fluidity that the clothes have compared to the restricting, tight women's clothes I've been wearing for the past couple of months.

The hardest part with putting my new style vibe into action was the fact that I simply could not find the clothes I wanted within the women's section. When I was looking for a baggy, oversized t-shirt, all I found were skimpy, barely-there pieces of fabric - also known as 'the crop top'. Um, hello, it's Winter and I don't want to flaunt my Christmas food baby.

Therefore, determined and on a mission to find my tees - I waltzed into the men's section. Firstly, guys, what's with the shady side-eyes you're giving me when I'm rifling through 'your' clothes? Surely by now you've worked out why your girlfriend is stealing your clothes - they're comfier :).

So, ignoring those disdainful glances from the men, I carried on stealing their clothes. I found out a few things about menswear. To begin - generally the prices are lower. This seems neither fair nor does it make any sense to me. Men are paid more in most professions yet you're charging them less for their clothes? Ok - I see where I stand...

Secondly, there was more selection of t-shirts. I didn't see a crop top in sight and it made me excited. Plus there was less competition. Usually when you're shopping in the women's section you get a bit of competition - 'honey, that's my dress, back off' - looks that can kill.

So, that's why I wear boys clothes and I'm a girl. I don't care. The price is slashed and I'm looking 'fash'.


clothes: top & shirt - TK MAXX, Jeans - ASOS, Shoes - Topshop 

Have you seen my new 'Winter Style Lookbook' video? 



Share:

10 comments

  1. Really like the message of this most, I tend to dress depending on my mood too- sometimes I'll try and be as chic as possible with culottes etc and other days I'll just be lazy and wear skinny jeans and a turtle neck sweater- it all depends on my mood. I agree with the men's clothes being cheaper than women's- I bought a basic tee in Zara for £4.99 in men's and I went to see women's and they were £6.99 :/
    Dalal x
    monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment, Dalal! It's so annoying that some men's clothes are cheaper!! But, now that I'm buying a few I've got no complaints, haha! x

      Delete
  2. Brilliant post! I completely agree with you - there's a time and a place for crop tops and winter is definitely not it! I've never shopped in the menswear section but I'm definitely going to check it out next time I'm in town... You look beautiful by the way, I'm so jealous of your hair!!

    Happy New Year!
    Niamh x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Niamh! Glad you liked the post and hope you enjoy the men's section next time you're in town! Snap up some bargains ;)

      Happy New Year!

      x

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this post because of so many reasons. Firstly, I hate that line that people say "but honey, you can't wear a boy shirt" no I will wear whatever the fuck I want. I cut my hair short just a few days ago and it's almost "boyish style" and people give me that disgusting look as if saying are you a girl or a boy. It's irritating. And you're totally rocking these cloths!

    Happy new year!

    xo,
    Not Your Type Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go girl! I know, at the end of the day - clothes are clothes - therefore, a shirt's a shirt! Who cares if it was supposed to be worn by a boy? They all look the same! As far as the hair cut goes, they're probably jealous of your bravery! Cutting hair is daunting but definitely embrace it and forget those opinions!

      Happy New Year!

      x

      Delete
  4. YES I agree with every word! Crop tops are definitely not the one after christmas, and to be honest for the majority of the year I'd rather keep my belly button safely under clothing. I love a men's top if I'm looking for baggy and oversized, even the womens 'oversized' tops are never actually oversized, they're just long! You look fab, so who cares who the clothes were designed for?!

    Lilies and Lipbalm
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Mel! Thanks for such a lovely comment! xxx

      Delete
  5. I literally cannot stand the fact that everywhere has crop tops at this time of year. ITS FREEZING! And nobody wanna see my food baby?
    Bee | QueenBeady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My food baby can remain unannounced too - goodbye crop tops, haha!! x

      Delete

© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig