Wednesday, 30 December 2015

I'm Single & Not Ready To Mingle!

 



This is probably the most random post that I've written on my blog yet. I'm taking spontaneity to a whole new level. I'm talking about my relationship status. Firstly, I am eighteen years old. I'm not panicking about the fact that I haven't found my Prince just yet. In fact, ideally, I would like it if my Prince didn't find me until I am at least twenty-five. Why? Because I love being single, free and alone. Does that make me a loser? Maybe, but I'm happy to join the club because this is the lifestyle that I've chosen!

I think that there's so much expectation for a girl to 'want to be' or 'be in' a relationship. Practically all my friends are in relationships. Yes, that's cool - you've got a boyfriend who will buy you pizza and text you everyday. But, I don't want that kind of attention (or calories). When you're in a relationship you're thinking about a whole extra person. Jeez, I'm struggling with me, myself and I right now. Please don't add to my stress.

I've had the chance to try-out the whole 'relationship' thing a few times and it's really not my cup of tea right now. Sure, that might change but for now, it's pretty set in stone. I feel like I want to focus on me. And really, what's so bad about that? I'm constantly being asked by friends and family who I'm 'speaking to' or who my 'boyfriend' is - with a smirk, I find joy in answering 'Teddy' (my beloved dog).

I want to put my attention on me. I enjoy my own company. I enjoy being free and young and not having to think about anyone else. I enjoy investing time in myself. I want to get to know myself before I start adding extra facts about someone else. I think I've still got a lot to learn and I'm a work in progress - let me do my 'thang' and leave me be por favor. 

There's also no denying that when you are in a relationship, your friends suffer. I love having girly nights in and while they're not necessarily put on a back-burner when you've got the 'boyfriend', they do suffer. Not to mention the time that I save by not texting someone all the time. Texting, Facetiming and phone calling eats up so much time in a day. Yeah, it's nice to talk, we get it, but seriously, I could've been watching a Disney film while eating myself into the ground.

I also love doing whatever I want and when I want. I like not having to rigidly plan my days around when I'm seeing one person. I like thinking about me, me, me. Self-obsessed? Sure - but I don't care, I'm single. Maybe I do want to take a trip to the Bahamas, but sure as heck I'll be doing it alone.

I don't think I ever really considered 'being single' as being a choice that I've made before, but it is. I don't want the hard work of maintaining a relationship with someone else at this point in my life. For the first time, I'm taking a year to breathe. A gap year is the perfect opportunity for me to focus on me. I want to fill my days with thoughts of myself. Who am I? What do I want? Well, I want to be single and that's what I am. I'm single and sooooo not ready to mingle.

Photos taken from my new lookbook, 'Winter Style'. 

Share:

2 comments

  1. Great post! Getting into a relationship is damn hard work which is why I'm still single at 31. I've been in two LTR since my teens and honestly, I feel like I wasted my time being with the wrong people. It's great that you're growing up and figuring out who you are before jumping head first into something like everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely, supportive comment! I totally agree, relationships are super hard work! xx

      Delete

© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig