Saturday, 19 November 2016

Two Weeks In The Wilderness



THE VIEW FROM MY BEDROOM WINDOW


LIVING IN THE MOUNTAINS 


AN EVENING, A BOOK AND A SUNSET


LOCAL BATIK ARTISTS 
(two of their pieces are on my bedroom wall).


CUCHARA MOUNTAINS



A NORMAL EVENING...


GARDEN OF THE GODS




A SUNRISE AT 4AM
(yes I was awake to see this..)


With no internet signal and little mobile reception, I was left to my own devices in Colorado this Summer. I discovered what it was like to live without television and the modern luxuries that we take for granted back home. I loved reading and watching nature around me. My holiday was a time of reflection and realisation.

 I became aware of how addicted to technology I was after I experienced severe withdrawals...sweats, nervous habits and anticipation of what I was missing (exaggerated information here for effect). I found myself leaping to my phone to check Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook and news apps all the time (that part wasn't fabricated). I had zero internet in the middle of nowhere, of course - it was a practical history lesson of caveman times.

But even the Flintstones had a car and so did we. A twenty minute drive to the nearest town meant I could connect to the local library internet. After my initial frantic moments to get in contact with everyone I knew back home and update myself on everything, I felt like a deflated balloon (the feeling of emptiness). I hadn't missed out on anything except absorbing what was around me in Colorado. I stopped caring about 'socials' after my trip. It's meaningless, superficial and fake but that's why we all love it after all. It just took time away from it to realise that it doesn't exactly fill me with extreme amounts of joy. I now find myself wasting less time on my phone because 'adventure is out there'. 


Share:

1 comment

  1. Your photos are gorgeous Holly, and it sounds like you had an amazing time! I had a week without WiFi too last summer, when we went sailing from Cornwall to Spain and as soon as we got there I switched on my internet only to realise I hadn't actually missed anything important. It's so refreshing not to be constantly checking social media sometimes isn't it? Lovely post!

    Emma xo // http://www.thewallflowerwardrobe.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

© I Blog The Fashion | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig