![]() |
| photo taken from google images |
How to put a stop to
compulsive buying and relieve yourself from the vicious shopping cycle.
Okay, so to start I should probably confess…(deep breath) I think I am a shopaholic. I’ve
done some research and I’m pretty sure I have most (if not all) of the
symptoms.. I took the liberty of looking up the exact definition of a
‘shopaholic’ and its definition was ‘a
compulsive shopper’. Let me just clarify, I am not an ‘all round
shopaholic’, by this I mean that I don’t just shop for anything. I’m not a
compulsive shopper for anything other than clothes. Yes, clothes. I seem to be
trapped, trapped in a vicious cycle that is most commonly known as ‘shopping’.
Many
years ago I was surfing through my scarce wardrobe and mumbling and
muttering that I had nothing to wear. To be fair, I actually had near to
nothing to wear because I had undergone a common stage of life, ‘a growth
spurt’. There were two things to come out of this generous ‘growth spurt’; the
first, I grew considerably taller (which is always a good thing when I was used
to being below average height) and the second, (not such a good thing) was that
all my clothes failed to fit me any longer. There was only one option.. to go
clothes shopping. I made a very practical, sensible list of all the items that
my wardrobe was lacking. It included mainly the basics; jeans (although I am
not a massive fan to this day), t-shirts and joggers etc. Back then my ‘style’
wasn’t really a style, I just used to treat the act of dressing as a chore,
much like brushing my teeth. Some people like to choose carefully the best
toothbrushes on the market, the best toothpastes, flosses and mouthwash. While
others would rather reach for the bargains and the stuff that will be
satisfactory… So, before I go into the ins and outs of dental hygiene, that was
me, a bargain snatcher. I reached for the bargains, the deals and the basics
and the resulting product was a mish-mash of boring clothes. I set off to the
shops, clutching my list of essentials that I was dependant on. However, little
did I know that that day was the start of a very serious, vicious cycle that
is, shopping.
It was that day that
I realised that I loved clothes. It was that day that I realised that I love
fashion. And.. it was that very day that the cycle of shopping started and an
obsession was born. I was exposed to a world like no other, where the world of
shops (or malls for you lovely American readers) became my fairy tale palace,
my kingdom. To be frank I ditched the list and started uncontrollably flinging
myself at rails of clothes, piles of neatly folded jumpers and yanking my feet
into all the shoes that I could find. After acting like a wild animal looking
for its prey, leaping and prancing around the shops, my shopping trip came to
an end. An end in which left me with a massive grin painted on my face, I had
clothes..and lots of them. For those of you who have read my very first blog
post ‘BAGGED A BARGAIN’, you may have picked up on the fact that I adore the
film, ‘Confessions of a Shopaholic’. Ironic I know. If you are unaware of it I will give you a
brief background. The film is based on the life of a girl called Rebecca
Bloomwood, Rebecca is a shopaholic. I love the film because the character of
Rebecca reminds me of myself. For starters she has the red, long hair and most
importantly she is addicted to shopping, a personality trait that I am familiar
with.
For those of you
who know me personally this will probably not come as any surprise. Fashion is
a massive influence on me and the one way that I can show this is through the
way that I dress. In my opinion one can never
have too many clothes. Clothes are a basic essential in life and
although, like anything, shouldn’t be overindulged, they should be bought
generously. However, shopping can be extremely expensive and over the past few
years clothes shopping has been the last things on many people’s minds. Their
soaring prices, the temptations of the store windows and the persuasive shop
assistants sneakily guiding you to the ‘bargains’ sections that are guaranteed
to have you brainwashed is enough to put anyone off. Although clothes are
clearly a necessity (because let’s face it, no one wants to see the population
strutting in their birthday suits), there seems to be a popular trend that
people are refraining from buying the clothes that they need because it is
financially and economically impossible to do so. Due to the ‘Credit Crunch’
(in the UK), local businesses suffered as well as the mega stores and in some
cases suffered severely causing once successful businesses to be lost. Why?
Because people weren’t shopping. Not out of choice but out of strong will and determination.
Earlier on in this
blog piece I confessed that I think I may be suffering from symptoms of a
shopaholic. Well, what made me come to this realisation was the withdrawal
symptoms.. Approximately a week ago I tried to get out the vicious cycle of
shopping, for it is a vicious beast. I found myself trapped, found myself
buying clothes and going back for more, wanting more and needing more.. My
monthly subscriptions to several fashion magazines were partly to blame, they
exposed me to the new clothes, trends and products that were released making me
itch to go to the shops immediately to snap it all up. But, there came a time where enough was
enough. My wardrobe was over spilling, to the point where my sofa bed became
the home for several ‘piles’/mountains of my clothes. Don’t get me wrong my wardrobe
is no Mariah Carey style wardrobe, I have a small but faithful, wooden wardrobe
that has been with me since my day of birth, partnered with a friendly chest of
draws. It seemed that the capacity had been reached a long time ago and my
clothes had to be vacationed to the spare room and stored in the wardrobe in
there. Aside from the impracticality of having to traipse around the house to
find an outfit I realised that my shopping habits had become a little out of
hand. So, I vowed to stop shopping, to save money and to save my little
struggling wardrobe before the doors violently catapult off their hinges.
Sounds easy right? WRONG.
Refraining from
shopping is possibly the hardest thing that I have ever attempted to do. I
found myself returning to old habits, searching the websites of high street
shops whenever I was on my phone or laptop leading to desires of visiting the
shops when I had browsed every inch of their shop. I indulged, more than usual,
in fashion magazines, to get an insight of the new trends (now that I wasn’t
seeing them in flesh) which left me with another restless want to visit my
nearest town. All this made me realise that I had developed an addiction to
shopping, not a fatal one but an unnecessary one which had undoubtedly stemmed
from my intense obsession with fashion.
Even if you aren’t a
particular follower of the latest trends or latest fashions everyone likes to
shop for new clothes. There’s a lovely feeling when you return home with a
handful of filled bags, containing freshly-bought smelling clothes in them. But
shopping doesn’t come cheap, even on the high street. I myself only own one
piece of designer produce and that’s my DKNY bag, the purchase was completely
rare and probably will remain my only piece of designer wear for a very long
time. Designer pieces are virtually
impossible to buy for the majority, the sky-high prices repel people away and
attract them to the cheaper option of the high street where they can buy at least
double the amount of items for the cost of one designer piece. But, I believe that shopping doesn’t have to come at a high cost.
Where refraining from the act of shopping is impossible shopping doesn’t always
have to be expensive. Alternatively if shopping
in any shape or form is not possible I have put together a few tips that have
helped me on my journey from refraining from shopping…
Shopping doesn’t have
to come at a price:
I sort of touched
upon this in two of my previous blog posts, ‘Starring the knitted jumper’ and
‘Fashion can change lives’, if you want to check them out just click on the
hyperlink that I’ve attached to the titles.
1.
Day-to-day essentials – Unfortunately the most boring types
of shopping are the trips that require shopping for the day-to-day essentials. These
items are inclusive of knickers, socks, bobbles, hairclips etc. Day-to-day
essentials, over the years, have become my worst enemy for two reasons. 1. They
are disguised under the illusion that they are inexpensive but can in fact be
so expensive when they are amounted together. 2. They are no fun. They put the
ultimate snooze factor in shopping. But they don’t have to be boring or
expensive! It’s easy to get tempted by labels and offers in shops, displays are
designed to be tempting – don’t fall into their trap!
a)
Make
a constructive list and promise yourself that you will buy nothing
other than what is on that list! Don’t stray! Avoid the 2 for 1 offers that
defeat the meaning of ‘essentials’ because who really needs double the product?
b)
Do
you really need it? Ask yourself the all important question, ‘do you
really need it?’. There have been
countless times where I have bought something thinking that I have ‘run out’ or
‘lost’ a product when miraculously it turns up a few days later. Make sure
those few days pass and that you have had a good old rifle before you journey
to get a duplicate of something you already own. Another common mistake I have
made is convincing myself that I need something when in reality I have no use
for it. So keep recycling that question, ‘Do I need you?!’.
3.
One off wonders – Although it is
best to walk away from the sale racks and bargain sections of shops, sometimes
it is virtually impossible… Even worse is when you come across ‘a bargain’ and
the price tag is a price that it should be to start with. There’s one problem,
you’ve grown attached and developed a love for the bargain item. What do you
do?
a)
Well, much like the day-to-day essentials, ask
yourself the question ‘Do I need this?’, if the answer is yes…ask yourself
again…
b)
‘I
already own you’ - If, at this point, you see your life ending at the
prospect of leaving the bargain unbought ask yourself another important
question… ‘Do I already own you?’. As crazy as it sounds there have been
numerous times where I have bought something instantly, returned home and
realised that I have a very similar item already in my wardrobe. Try and vary
your wardrobe – keep it different and make sure that every item has
individuality. Most importantly – avoid the compulsive buying!
c)
Defining
the one-off wonder - If you are still bowing down to the
god-like item that you physically can’t live without, treat the purchase as a ‘one
off wonder’. By this I mean take the plunge – buy it. However, if you chose
this option you need to discipline yourself and tell yourself that it is a
one-off purchase and remember how wonderful it is for the rest of your life. The
truth will be revealed, if you can’t imagine loving it for the duration of a
lifetime, or you feel that it will go out of style – walk away. It isn’t that
‘wonder’ that is worth splashing out on.
4.
DIY
– check out my article on ‘Starring the Knitted Jumper’. Sometimes DIY is the
way forward and only requires getting the ingredients for the product!
Lastly, I put together user-friendly tips
to help you refrain from shopping all
together…
1.
Empty
your pockets – If you’re going out with a couple of close mates to
town, you know there is going to be that risk of splashing the cash. The only
way to avoid this sinful act is to empty your pockets (or purse, wallet or
whatever you use to keep your money in…). Even if you do see several to-die-for
items, you won’t have the money to buy them, walking away empty handed. It may
sound miserable and not a lot of fun but it saves your money and works (trust
me!).
2.
Subscribe,
follow and Google – if the main reason that you go shopping is to see
what new trends and products have hit the shops there’s an effortless way
forward – subscribe, follow and google. Subscribe to magazines such as Vogue,
Harpars Bazaar, Company, Look, Glamour etc. They’ll keep you updated with
trends and unlike a shop they’ll give you commentary! Follow all the fashion blogs,
twitter pages and Youtubers you can find to keep ultra updated. Finally, if
you’re still thirsty for more google to your hearts content! Almost any online
magazine or site will have a style or trend section that will undoubtedly keep
you updated!
3.
Go
vintage – By this I don’t mean go out to a vintage store and splurge
the notes, I mean borrow and recycle. As some of you may know, my most
favourite possession is my vintage, wool lined coat. It was a hand-me-down from
my Mum and I adore it. It cost me nothing and keeps me snug and cosy in the
bitter weathers of the UK. See what your Mum/Grandmothers or relatives have
lying around in their wardrobes because vintage stuff is often way cooler than
the high street!
4.
Make
a mess – When you have the urge to shop it’s usually because your bored
of the clothes that you already own so my advice is to make a mess. Empty your
wardrobe’s contents, take out your drawers and look at all your clothes. Make
new outfits out of the clothes you own! Guaranteed there will be some clothes
that you will have forgotten about which in some cases can be as good as new!
Like I mentioned earlier, at this current stage of my life I
think I am a shopaholic. I wrote this blog post as a form of therapy and with
hopeful spirits that I would take my own advice, which is commonly known to be
a tough thing to do. Shopping is both
your best friend and your enemy, it will be there when you need it but leave
with side effects and some withdrawal symptoms. Coming to the end of the post I
leave you with this, ‘Good luck’ with vicious cycle of shopping.

No comments
Post a Comment