I have an unnecessary fear of needles, always have – but I’m
working on it. I can now confess that when I look at a needle I don’t feel the
need to sprint a hundred miles in the opposite direction. But, well into my
teen years I still haven’t been able to pluck up the courage to pierce my ears
and honestly I don’t know if I ever will. I envy those who consider having the
cartilage pierced when I stand there with untouched ears.. I love earrings
–they’re versatile and give instant glamour to a look. I don’t want to be old
and regret any of my youthful days, memories should be full of positivity and
no regrets – would not getting my ears pierced be a serious regret? Call me
dramatic but I love the hoops, the danglies and the studs. So, I began to search for solutions..
I’m about 8 or 9
years old at this point, lots of girls my age have already got their first pair
of studs.. Me? Nothing of course. It was
a normal day the day that I thought I’d struck gold, perhaps the weather was a
little below perfection but I was content. But, to my excitement I discovered
treasures of all treasure when I found out about ‘clip on earrings’. They
looked cheap, plastic and were like something that was put into the reject pile
for the Dame’s costume in the local pantomime but I loved them. The concept was
magnificent to me, wearing earrings with no needles involved! In awe I clipped
them onto my ears – a little tight but I’d cope…
I’m 11 now, ‘clip on
earrings’ you say? Um no, how ‘uncool’. ‘Yeah..I’m so nearly a teenager’. I got
to the point where I thought I was too cool for school.. The novelty of the
clip on earrings soon wore off, they were tight, fell off in public and looked outrageous
(in a bad way). So, I was back to square one.. no earrings and heaps of fear of
the word ‘needle’. By this point even more girls my age seemed to be piercing
holes into their ears. I was jealous.. But low and behold my answer was right
under my nose! On a recent rant to my friend about how amazing her earrings
were and giving her an interview on how she managed to cope with the pain of
having them pierced, she replied, ‘I didn’t.’. Puzzled at the reply I was about
to dig deeper until ‘SNAP’. She had removed her earrings with one quick
movement and a ‘clunk’ noise. ‘They’re magnetic’ she exclaimed. No way.
Nostalgia of my 8(ish) year old self flashed back, it was like the ‘clip on’
discovery all over again. The answer to my problem! I rushed home after school
and after some quick persuasion bought my pair in the local Claire’s shop.
After taking an age to pick the perfect ones I choose some ruby looking studs
and some metallic ballerina style ones for versatility! For the first few hours
they were great, I fooled people into the illusion of having pierced ears.. But
the problem came when my ears went red and painful on removal of the earrings..
Hmmm it seems magnetic force wasn’t quite the way forward for my lobes.
I’m now my current
age and still – no earrings. Now, even more girls have their ears pierced. To
be precise I swear everyone on the planet except me has their ears pierced. I’m
still not ready to rush into having my ears pierced, so they remain naked. But,
I have had another revolutionary experience! Flicking through my newly arrived
Vogue that comes every month due to my subscription to the magazine (call me
fashion crazed) I spotted another answer to my problem! Hopefully this time it
will be a success! The latest fashion accessory – the ear cuff. For those of
you uneducated on the matter of the ear cuff hopefully this will clear it up:
S/S 2013 ear cuff
Although some ear cuffs require a pierced ear some are just
merely hooked over the ear! So I’m hoping that this is the real answer to my
earring obsession.. and for now, with no pierced ears the ear cuff will remain
faithful and practical! I’m not saying that I would go ‘all out’ with this
structural demon of a cuff (above) but local high streets have a select few
that tickle my fancy! (Because unlike the magnetic earrings the back won’t fall
off when you walk past a radiator! Not a good look!)
* image credit to Google Images
* image credit to Google Images
No comments
Post a Comment