We’ve all heard that saying, right? ‘No pain, no gain’ – whether
true or not, it certainly applies to fashion. Recently I was asked;
‘Why are you wearing something that’s uncomfortable?’
(Referring to my brown ankle boots as I slipped them off in relief at the end
of the day – I’m sure we’ve all been here!) This simple yet obvious question
was something that I hadn’t really given much thought to. It led me to a
partner thought, why am I wearing something that is uncomfortable? Shouldn't the
clothes I wear day-in-day-out be comfortable? Not that simple.
Since the early days
women have restricted their bodies for fashion – take corsets as an obvious
example. Dating back to the Victorian era, women restricted themselves daily to
look good –why? ‘Because that’s fashion darling.’ It seems that although we 21st
Century women don’t wear restrictive elaborate dresses like the past (well the
majority of us don’t anyway!) we are still restricting ourselves for fashion.
By restrictive I mean something that is physically painful (over time or as
soon as you wear it) and something that is uncomfortable in daily life. As S/S
2013 has started it seems that even some of our designers have taken a more
restrictive angle for their pieces.
Take Alexander McQueen’s
S/S 2013 collection for example:
Although these are only a select few pieces of McQueen’s
collection, you get the general idea. Gorgeous? Yes. Extravagant? Yes.
Statement pieces? Of course! But comfortable? Certainly not! Obviously a few
heads would turn if these complete McQueen outfits were seen walking around our
local shop (Some in horror and some with admiration!). They are too ‘out there’
for everyday life but trends develop from influential designers like McQueen.
Don’t get me wrong,
we all have our lazy days where jogging bottoms and tracksuit-style wear seems
the way forward! They’re comfortable, easy and quick to put together but
they’re not the height of fashion! Is it just simply that comfort and fashion
just don’t complement each other too well? As a result women see themselves
slumping out of their clothes with relief at the end of the day! So why do us
women endure the pain? To fit in? To be on trend? To look good or to stand out?
To complete your outfit?
Well, if you’re like
me, then you endure the pain because that’s part of the package deal of
fashion. I love my ankle boots, they’re neat and delicate and go with multiple
outfits. Who cares if I’m in agony by the end of the day? Along the way I have
received compliments on how nice my shoes look, so I know they were totally
worth it.
Whatever the reason may be and whatever the piece of
clothing - should we limit ourselves fashion wise for comfort or should we push
the boundaries like our ancestors?
Comment below!
Don’t forget to
follow us on twitter also @iblogthefashion to give you updates on new and
upcoming posts!



No comments
Post a Comment